Navigating Complex Texts Across the Content Areas
The ability for students to read complex texts can vary greatly depending on the text they are reading. Students who can easily read the text used in English Language Arts (ELA) may struggle with science, social studies, technology, engineering or mathematics texts of a similar level of difficulty.
Research shows that students do not automatically transfer strategies introduced in an English class to reading in other areas, and more importantly, the way texts are read differs across discipline areas. In thinking about content literacy, instruction, and the complexity of texts read throughout the disciplines, teachers need to be able to take into account the tasks they are setting, what they expect students to know and what their students should know as readers across disciplines.
With the introduction of the newly rigorous standards, students are required to know more than they ever have before. Teachers in all disciplines need to prepare their students to interact in today’s highly literate world, so they can be ready for college and their careers.
Effective disciplinary literacy strategies spanning across grades and subjects
Generation Ready’s approach to content literacy addresses the need for students to develop the advanced literacy skills needed to master math, science, social studies and technical subjects, so they are truly prepared for college and careers. Our content literacy services provide the intensive professional development needed by teachers of science, technology, engineering, social studies and mathematics to meet the raised expectations for students in state literacy standards across subjects.
We offer a comprehensive approach that has:
- A whole-school focus where all science, social studies, math and ELA teachers and administrators are engaged in the effort
- Technology-enhanced and data-driven job-embedded professional learning that focus on:
- Effective literacy teaching across disciplines
- Small group text-based discussions around increasingly complex text
- Introducing technical academic vocabulary across disciplines
- A tiered assessment strategy
- Teams of teachers collaborating around student data and discipline-specific ways of thinking, reading and speaking
Our comprehensive approach to improving literacy practices ensures that all students have the skills they need to read the complex texts required by each content areas. Contact us to learn more.